Re: Polypaudio for Gnome 2.10, the next steps

On Tue, 23.11.04 12:52, Colin Walters (walters redhat com) wrote:

> > I don't want to push polypaudio as a replacement for ALSA. I can't win
> > that one. The ALSA API is designed with professional audio in
> > mind. Polypaudio is designed with desktop audio in mind. Professional
> > audio will always use ALSA at the lowest level possible.
>
> Exactly, and that's why Polypaudio can't become the standard sound API.
> Professional audio people are going to want mixing too.

I don't want polypaudio do become the "standard sound API", and I
never did. Something like a better PortAudio should become the
"standard sound API".

I want polypaudio to become the default sound server of Gnome. Is this
so difficult to understand?

> > On the other hand I do think that Gnome needs
> > networked and portable audio and things like that and that Polypaudio
> > should become the *default* audio system of the gnome desktop.
>
> This contradicts the paragraph above.

No, it doesn't.

While gedit is the the *default* editor of Gnome, I don't use it, I
use Emacs. But I am OK with the decision to make gedit the default
editor. And that is exactly what I request for polypaudio: don't
depend on it, but suggest and use it as *default*.

> Polypaudio, sitting below
> GStreamer, would be part of the underlying OS, not the GNOME Desktop or
> Platform.  So if you want to convince distributors to use it, you should
> be sending email to e.g.
> debian-devel lists debian org, fedora-devel-list redhat com, etc.

That's not the way it works. Debian doesn't decide on having a
default sound server. They take what Gnome provides them with. It's
Gnome's decision to make one the default.

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }