Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

Christian Meyer wrote:

Hi!

On 03 Feb 2003 21:58:14 +0000
MArk Finlay wrote:

You cannot really work like that. You either depend on it or not. You
cannot wait and see if it's going to be on time. 2.1 depended on gtk
2.1. If 2.3 depends on gtk 2.3 then 2.4 cannot be changed to depend on
gtk 2.2 easily AFAIK.

So GNOME2.3 has to depend on gtk2.2 if we really know that gtk2.4 won't be a
candidate for GNOME2.4. But how can we be sure of that?
I think it's quite complex to predict whether gtk2.4 will be released in time
or not.

That is exactly the point. Since we can't predict the gtk 2.4 release date, we should be targetting gtk 2.2 while developing Gnome 2.4. If gtk 2.4 is out by the time Gnome 2.4 is ready we can include it with the release (because it will be backward compatible with 2.2, right?).

By targetting gtk 2.2, we don't have to care about gtk 2.4's release cycle. See how useful backward compatible releases can be?

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/