Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003, Marius Andreiana wrote:

> The API won't be tied to any protocol, will be generic. I think Mikael
> meant to have the default login / signup to be Jabber's. You'll be able
> to select other protocols, but Jabber will be the default.

People, I think we're going about this the wrong way. I think there
doesn't *need* to be a default protocol. People will use IM to chat to
their friends. Assuming they already have online friends, just let them
enter their friends' IM IDs in an idiot proof wizard form.
Then, from the format of the ID's, figure out which IM protocols are
required and ask the user to fill out the details that are not yet known.

Perhaps it would even be possible to seek out existing buddy lists on
readable windows partitions with a `locate` query or something similar.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778