Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

<quote who="Rodrigo Moya">

> On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 14:21, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Andrew Coulam">
> >
> > > Sorry if this application was on the list and I've simply forgotten,
> > > but how about GnomeMeeting?
>
> since it seems all kind of apps are being proposed, what about office
> apps, while we wait for a common GNOME Office release? That would include,
> at least, abiword, gnumeric, sodipodi and mergeant (sorry if I forgot some
> other one).

The desktop release is meant to be a minimal satisfaction of the 'greatest
common factor' of user requirements. It's essentially comparable to what you
get with Windows and other environments by default [ or meant to be ;) ].

Beyond that, here's two really strong reasons to not include office
applications in the desktop release:

  - 'blessing' these applications as a part of the desktop release means
    there's an uncomfortable competition against other apps, such as
    OpenOffice... is that a sensible strategy for the GNOME Project as a
    whole?

  - keeping the 'GNOME Office' set of apps outside the Desktop release
    treadmill will allow them to move faster, standardise their own libs,
    etc... if they decide to do that. :-)

Let's keep the desktop release slim and nimble. Dance like a butterfly,
sting like a bee. ;-)

- Jeff

  "I run Linux on pretty much everything except the microwave and washing
     machine. Those are tempting targets but would probably make Telsa
                        extremely cross." - Alan Cox