Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"
- From: Alan Johnson <alan txtger net>
- To: Mikael Hallendal <micke codefactory se>
- Cc: desktop-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"
- Date: 12 Apr 2003 18:01:49 -0400
> You are assuming that everyone already uses IM, which is very far from
> true, most people don't yet. And those that don't is those that we want
> to get to use Jabber over any of the propriatary protocols.
It seems, though, that a person'ss friends would make much more
difference in what IM they use than the Gnome default. Why not just
leave it open instead of designing around any particular protocol. I
mean, yes, it'd be perfectly acceptable in my eyes to promote Jabber
from within the Gnome community by using it for IM between developers,
or even having a Gnome Jabber server. But as far as selecting a default
for users of the desktop, that's really counter-productive to any sort
of openness in my eyes.
Alan Johnson <alan txtger net>
] [Thread Prev