Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

lör 2003-04-12 klockan 23.05 skrev John (J5) Palmieri

> I don't think there should be a default one.  I think the user should decide.
> I wish there were a standard interoprability protocol so I wouldn't have
> to choose.  The only problem with this is new users are not always going
> to know which protocol to use.  If we sign them up to jabber they might
> complain that they can't talk to their friends who are on AIM.  It is
> quite a pickle.

You are assuming that everyone already uses IM, which is very far from
true, most people don't yet. And those that don't is those that we want
to get to use Jabber over any of the propriatary protocols.

> The only reason AIM is not a plugin is historical.  Basicly Gaim was
> created as a Gtk+ client when AOL openned their protocol and released
> some Tcl/Tk code.  Aol then pulled the code at which point Gaim got a
> plugin framework and new protocols were added.  Why rip out working code
> and refactor it to make some people feel better?

That's a technical detail, just as the fact that other protocols is
implemented as plugins. It doesn't have to show in the UI.

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal
--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/