Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

<quote who="Daniel Farrell">

> Email
> Web Browsing
> Instant Messaging
> Audio playing(and video is catching up)

(I pretty much agree.)

> We should keep the basic desktop in plain view.  Are there any reasons
> Gaim shouldn't be including in the basic desktop?

IMHO, Gaim does not integrate brilliantly with GNOME [1], and certainly
doesn't follow the HIG. I'm not sure the developers are willing to commit to
the goals of the GNOME Desktop release, either.

I would love to see a yummy, HIGgy, usable instant messaging app included in
the Desktop release, even though I don't use them. ;-)

(One issue with IM stuff is that we can't rely on proprietary protocols and
servers working, and to satisfy a large majority of the users, we'd really
be wanting to support them... So, kind of a tough position.)

- Jeff

[1] It has options for things that GNOME defines, has a bunch of copied
code, does not use GNOME libraries, etc.

   "There, I did it... I defiled a timeless piece of ART!" - Jim Carrey,
                          covering I Am The Walrus