Re: Conduit Nokia N810

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Thomas Van Machelen
<thomas vanmachelen gmail com> wrote:
> John,
>

>  On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM, John Carr <john carr unrouted co uk> wrote:
>  > >  http://unrouted.co.uk/2008/05/05/trying-conduit-on-n810-n800/
>  >  >
>  >  >  *NOTE* this is *NOT* ready for general use. If you are wanting this
>  >  >  for serious use right now then you will be leaving with a sad face.
>  >  >  Right now there seems to be an icon related problem hitting a lot of
>  >  >  dataproviders. Patches welcome, otherwise i'll try and find time to
>  >  >  have a look tomorrow evening.
>  >  >
>  >  >  John
>  >
>  >  I have updated the package to use (chuckles) the RSS feed icon if it
>  >  can't load an icon it needs. This means that you stand a fighting
>  >  chance of stuff working now, albeit with bad icons.
>  >
>  >  The only test I did was: Added an "Evolution Contacts" and "Network"
>  >  on the N810. On my laptop the N810 just appeared in the list of the
>  >  left. So I set it up to sync Remote Contacts to contacts on my laptop.
>  >  Lo, it worked :-D If someone can somehow screenshot/screencast this
>  >  that would be awesome...
>
>  Thanks for stepping up to do all this packaging.  I was scared my
>  hildon efforts would remain unused.  But now i'm over the moon.  Keep
>  it up!  Things are rolling now.

Totally agree! There is plenty of scope for someone to work on moving
common parts out of /hildonui/ and /gtkui/ into a common base
class/classes in /ui/. Particulary the UI and Canvas classes.

>  >
>  >  I also added a few packages I was told I'd missed ( I have
>  >  python2.5-runtime on my N810 so overlooked them :-( ).
>  >
>  >  There is also a link to try out:
>  >
>  > http://files.conduit-project.org/conduit.install
>  >
>  >  John, Thomas: Thoughts on how to disable dataproviders that don't make
>  >  sense on maemo? E.g. I don't think iPod makes much sense.
>  >

>  See comments by John, but maybe we could have some kind of default
>  blacklist in the UI classes?

Not easily. The UI stuff gets initialized *after* the dirs are scanned
for modules, so the best that could be done currently, i.e. without
changing the order things start) is just hiding certain modules from
the UI. Thats not really optimal, as removing the modules from being
scanned decreases startup time.

John

p.s. Its kind of amazing that things like network sync worked
perfectly, right away