Re: [Banshee-List] Problem with compilation albums

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM, John Doe <nxxs inbox com> wrote:
You could just as easily tag your compilation albums differently, for example making the title tag "artist - title", and the artist tag "various". this would also solve your problem. The current way banshee handles compilation lbums seems more than sufficient. Switching the default is unnecessary, since the fix is so easy.

Keith Curtis wrote:

The question as to whether the current behavior is sufficient depends on what situation is more common -- users having compilation albums, or users having albums with the same name by different artists. In order to say that the current behavior is "more than sufficient", you'd have to present data about this topic, which you have not done.

The fix is not easy when you have lots of music. And I'm not necessarily certain I want to invest a bunch of time. I've been using totem (and beagle when I want to search by artist) for 4 years now and am not ready to make such a commitment to Banshee.

I'm also nervous about automatically re-tagging my music as I'm afraid it would screw up. I doubt the tool has an undo feature. So I'd have to back up my collection, and keep the backup around for a period of time. There is also a risk that I won't notice a problem until after I've deleted my backup. The metadata attached to my music is just as important as the music itself. Without the metadata, music is a jumble of bits on permanent shuffle. ;-) I'm far beyond the point that I will ever re-rip my CD collection again. And even CDs I've ripped a few months ago have this problem! As far as I'm concerned, it is years too late to put these requirements on new users.

I'm quite surprised that more users haven't complained -- I wonder if they have a higher pain threshold, or if you still have a relatively small user base. But if you become the default in Ubuntu, be prepared for the flood! (On this and other issues.) Just consider me the guy giving you the early warning signal. ;-)

I cranked up Rhythmbox just as an experiment and it handled it the way I expected. Note it doesn't handle multi-CD album compilations, which is another must-have feature in my mind. I won't use Rhythmbox but I think what other tools do is another useful data point to gather when evaluating "soft" features like this.

-Keith