Re: [Banshee-List] Problem with compilation albums

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Alexander Kojevnikov <alexander kojevnikov com> wrote:
2009/10/13 Keith Curtis <keithcu gmail com>:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Alexander Kojevnikov
> <alexander kojevnikov com> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/13 Keith Curtis <keithcu gmail com>:
>> > I don't understand why is that necessary. When the albums have the same
>> > name, why can't the album browser group them together?
>>
>> Because different artist can have albums with the same name, you don't
>> wan't to group them. See bgo#570889 [1]
>>
> There are also cases of different artists with the same name, so I can just
> imagine how you might propose to fix that! :-)

No need for sarcasm, I'm trying to help.

Actually, it was just a little joke but that also points out a real problem -- even artist name along won't fully solve problems. When dealing in the world of humans, heuristics are usually required.

If you read the bug I referenced you will see that just grouping
everything by album name will break things.

I understand that. My point was that you have problems either way, but I think you should switch the default. As I said, the number of users with compilation albums must be higher than the number of users with different artists having the same album name.