Re: DialUp Pref [was: Re: HTML support (was Re: Simplification of preferences)]

> Am 2002.11.14 23:21 schrieb(en) Toralf:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>  I've read the article now. I still think that, generally speaking,
>>> preferences are a GoodThing.
>>> In respect to Balsa, it means this:
>>>
>> [ ... ]
>> Yes. Your notes here are very sensible.
>>
>> I actually had a stab at making some of the changes you mention + a few
>> more of my other suggestions that aren't too radical.
>>
>> A patch is attached (BALSA_2 branch, current CVS.)
>>

> I haven't applied it (no time...)
> But in general I don't like the idea of a "dial up" setting.
> What should be the pupose of such a thing?
The idea is that some functionality that is usually convenient, might
cause trouble on a dial-up connection because the computer may no actually
be connected to the net, or because the connection is *slow* when it is.
The only argument for not having certain features "always on", appears to
be that they could cause trouble on a dialup-connection. So why not
collect all of these in a single setting rather than having several
confusing prefs?

I haven't *really* thought a lot about this, though, and I'm not sure that
"dial up" is a good name for the setting.

> Better would perhaps be an online/ offline mode with a new setting in
> each server pref "check only when online" instead of the old "check mail
> from this server"
> In that way you would also be able to handle queue and send immediately
> and things like that.
Yes. That could be useful. A pref would still be needed, though, since
much of this has to do with startup behaviour. And I'm not sure a
per-server setting is right in this case, since I think we can assume all
or none of the servers are accessed through the dialup connection.

- Toralf