Re[2]: WG: [xslt] decimal char problem - possible Solution

Dear Danil,

sorry but I think there are some misunderstandings! Maybe we didn't
understand you. Here the deal: We'll try to summarize the problems we
have then you can do a last comment at our proposal.

1. We never spoke from an error of libxml/libxslt !!!
   We have only discovered a problem in use and a "missing feature" of
   libxml which could be provided within the rules defined by the
   standards (decimal values in entities).

2. Netscape prior to Version 6 has problems with the
   HTML Output generated by libxslt, because it isn't able to compute
   the hexvalue of the entities correctly. It only deals right with
   decimal values.

3. We have to stay on the ISO-8859-1 encoding because there are many other
   problems in switching to UTF-8. First to mention is the browser
   compatibilty we are required to support (e.g. Netscape 3).
   Our Editing tools (like Hotmetal) are not correctly Unicode
   enabled. So the usage of utf-8 will not close down our problems, it
   will raise more.

4. Our proposal for sollution is to add a feature in fully compliance
   with the recommendations of w3c. We'd like to ask you to add a
   feature (especially for the HTML serializer) to get a decimal
   output in char entities (which did the snippet I've posted before).
   The usage of a global var was not a need, it was only a proposal
   (indeed I'm thinking a bit different about usage global vars, e.g. for
   problems in Multithreaded environments, but it's the style done so
   far, and I respect that!).

So please don't be angry, but we have the need to solve the problem
(and in short time terms we have already because we patched libxml2 in
that way). But we think the community is also interested in being
able to use libxslt in the way the world (in this case the browsers)
will understand it's output correctly.

We don't want to rob your time, we only want to improve the libs to
getting usable to all people like to use libslt for different
applications not only for test suites!

THX
Marco

--<XMLFILE> ----------------------------------------------------------------
<FOO>
        <BAR>Etudes en technologie de l&#8216;information</BAR>
</FOO>
--</XMLFILE> ---------------------------------------------------------------

--<XSLFILE> ----------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:output method="html" indent="yes" encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>

<xsl:template match="FOO">
                <head>
                        <title>Test Page</title>
                </head>
                        <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="BAR">
        <h1><xsl:apply-templates/></h1>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
--</XSLFILE> ---------------------------------------------------------------

--<OUTPUT FIXED VERSION>-------------------------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
</head>
        <h1>Etudes en technologie de l&#8216;information</h1>
--</OUTPUT FIXED VERSION>-------------------------------------------------

--<OUTPUT PROBLEM VERSION>-------------------------------------------------
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Test Page</title>
</head>
        <h1>Etudes en technologie de l&#x2018;information</h1>

Marco Stipek

triplex - agentur fuer neue medien GmbH
Herzog-Heinrich-Strasse 11-13
80336 Muenchen