Re: [xml] Using Xpath with default namespace and null prefix

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 10:25 +0100, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 03:08:49AM +0100, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
Unfortunatelly in my case I'm implementing a XCAP (RFC 4825) client and
server. XCAP reuses Xpath but allows Xpath nodes without prefix matching an
"application specified namespace". This is, the following "Xpath" should work

  Sorry, that's not XPath behaviour, and not possible with libxml2 which
implements XPath. I'm very surprized that such a deviation from a W3C
standard was allowed in an IETF specification, there used to be liaison
between W3C and IETF to avoid this kind of problems.

XPath 2 makes clear that an application can provide a default namespace
(not to be confused with a default namespace declaration in the
document), so that //foo can match it.

In retrospect I think we should also have introduced some way to add
bindings in XPath, so you could do,
    /document/item/(with prefix x := "http://www.example.org/"; x:para/x:step)/note[3]

Maybe we could consider something like that for XPath 2.1.

However, libxml2 is still on XPath 1.0...

 I also see it reference XML Fragment Interchange CR
draft, so I really wonder if the liaison work was properly done on
that IETF specification >:->

The liaison between W3C and IETF does not involve reviews of individual
specs, and never has, except by explicit request -- we don't have the
resources at W3C, and where it would apply in the other direction
(e.g. HTTP) the work has often been joint.

Liam