Re: [xml] Using Xpath with default namespace and null prefix

El Lunes, 8 de Febrero de 2010, François Delyon escribió:
Unfortunatelly it's common in XCAP protocol and applications as the
above example.

But as far as I understand XCAP, it is possible to use regular XPath
expression by providing a namespace-prefix pair  in the request part
of the URL.

Yes, but it could occur the same as in the example I provided. A XML document
contains a reference to other node of same or different document:

  <external anchor="http://xcap.server.org/document.xml/~~/root/child"; />

Then the client knows that the default namespace for the application is
"urn.default" so it must transform the above Xpth segment into:

  xpath( "/ns:root/ns:child", "ns"=>"urn.default" )

For this, the client must do a dirty parsing of the Xpath expression.

In fact, I don't understand why XCAP does not simply use XPointer.

SIP/XCAP RFC's are mostly written by non real developers, so they don't care
how easy are these specifications to implement. In fact, by adding some
"extra-non-useful-but-cool" features on top of an existing specification the
RFC author seems to "provide some added value..."  :(

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc aliax net>