Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

Sasha Vasko wrote:
Desire by applications to implement window management functionality themself, is no innovation, but arrogance.

Not providing the possibility to opt-out of having decorations is
arrogance on your part.

Window managers are there to provide consistent interface to the user. I personally get irked when I > see all the windows look similarly, except for strange hard-to-read darkish stripe that is representing XMMS.

You are describing an ideal world, where
everyone's needs are met and everyone cooperates perfectly. The fact of the matter is simple: application developers *want* to be able to turn off decorations, they are begging for it. There is no way for the window manager to be able to provide a consistent interface for all applications. And since both the ICCCM and EWMH explicitly omit any specification of semantics/behavior/etc., then we must allow applications to say "don't do anything special with me, don't draw any decorations, i'll implement the semantics i need myself". I know you are going to reply and say that the app shouldn't do this, but you are simply avoiding the issue. I'd like to hear a reason for limiting what apps can do (other than a description of an ideal).

Real world example of this would be a car having a joystick instead
of a steering weel, and a wierd knob on a dashboard instead of a gas
pedal. Let gas pedals be gas pedals and window managers manage
windows, and we all will end up in a better world.

I don't see how this applies. Your analogy describes the contents, not
the packaging around it. The window manager provides the packaging, and
you would force the same packaging on all applications and tell them *at
the same time* that they can't rely on the packaging their given. Somethings just won't fit in the packaging you give them; they will need to provide their own.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway