Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:35:51 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:

>  I think I'd agree with Havoc here. Why should it be the app's decision?

because possibly within the apps window there is a design or setup that clashes
with having a visible border. why that is is the app's business imho.

> Gkrellm can very well be a TYPE_DOCK, and XMMS is such an exercise in
> non-standard GUI it's probably not even worth talking about it. KWin has an
> user option for turning off the border for some windows, and supports the
> Motif hint, but why exactly should we support (read: encourage) it in the
> spec besides letting the app developers create their own "cool" decorations?

and one could argue that "standard gui's" are incredibly space inefficient,
consume vast amounts of screen space for limited functionality. "non standard
gui's" have certain advantages - for those happy to adjust to them they CAN
provide much more compact UI's. a great example is xmms when shaded. all the
control buttons you need, status etc. in the space if a very small titlebar.
likely much smaller than the wm's own one. i dont say this is for everyone - but
i see no reason to ostracise apps that a good segment of users seem to like and
are ready to adapt to. "why" should be a job for the app developer and his/her
decisions at the time for their own app. we simply should provide a way to do
it. if it is as simple as declaring mwm hints (if present) are an explcit
decoration setting and will override window type - then so be it. i definitely
would fall to that side myself - in fact that is what i have already implemented
and will likely not change the behavior as such.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多                              raster deephackmode org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)