Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Thursday 23 of June 2005 05:46, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:25:47 -0400 Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> babbled:
> > On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 20:08 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > > Well _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK is wrong because xmms is not a dock, and
> > > because  in most wms it has a side effect on stacking order.
> >
> > How about
> > _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUDIO_APPS_ALL_THINK_THEY_HAVE_TO_HAVE_NONSTANDARD_UI
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > and _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_GKRELLM_IS_LEET_TOO
>
> fun aside - it's a valid thing to ask for imho. why should people be
> limited to only fit in the mould given to them?
>
> if "standard" were for everyone we'd all live in the same house, drive the
> same car - of the same color, wear the same shoes, clothes, have the same
> furniture etc.
>
> freedom of choice is good. if a developer wants their app to have no
> borders it should be well supported imho.

 I think I'd agree with Havoc here. Why should it be the app's decision?
Gkrellm can very well be a TYPE_DOCK, and XMMS is such an exercise in
non-standard GUI it's probably not even worth talking about it. KWin has an
user option for turning off the border for some windows, and supports the
Motif hint, but why exactly should we support (read: encourage) it in the
spec besides letting the app developers create their own "cool" decorations?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/