Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop

Hi all,

This seems to be the current state of the art:

http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-12/

Look about half-way down, 'Panel & Applets'. Seems pretty good to me.

I like things the way they are. A simple right-click menu is all I
think is required; unmounting media isn't really that important to
users, and the solutions people are proposing would potentially
involve making major changes to the desktop for what I think is little
benefit. Over-engineering the eject feature should be avoided!

This discussion seems geared towards helping novice users in some ways
- making the eject feature discoverable, ensuring the user follows the
correct procedure. I think unmounting devices is something you have to
learn, like powering the computer off properly and not just hitting
the power button (thinking pre-APM).

All I think we need to do is tell the user if they don't unmount it
properly the first time ('Oops, you removed a device without
unmounting it correctly. This is bad because... Do it this way next
time...') or possibly tell them what to do when they mount a device
for the first time. This way, the user should learn to do things the
correct way and not panic when their CD drive's eject button doesn't
work.

Thanks

--
Phil Bull