Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:12:28 -0400
> From: Rodney Dawes <dobey novell com>
> To: zuh iki fi
> Cc: gnome-usability <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop
>
> I like using the "Eject" button on the drive. It works nicely. :)
>
> For things like USB keyfobs and such, I think we should just fix the
> problems with losing dating if you unplug the device, and it is not
> written to yet.

Yes please!

Making users jump through hoops because the sofware is not smart enough to
cache data is really annoying.

> The Mac OS "eject" behavior for dragging to the trash, is more related
> to the hardware interfaces, I think. Macs have historically not had
> eject buttons for at least floppy and cd-rom drives, and therefore
> required the user to eject things via software, or with a paper clip.

The hardware forced them to provide a proper software fix, but even if
they had hardware buttons I think it is something they would have gotten
around to eventually.

If I recall correctly Mac OS provided a menu Item for Eject (in the System
menu?) near where the Shutdown button lives but I dont think Gnome
provides a suitable and convenient menu item for ejecting mounting drives
(but dont quote me on that, I may have missed it or not be adequately up
to date).  Can we provide an equivalent as it might be less contraversial
and we need a more easily discoverable method to eject drives even if the
various suggestions are implemented in some form or another.

> They've added eject buttons to some machines in the near recent
> development of hardware, but many devices still do not have hardware
> eject buttons. Of course, Nautilus also already provides an
> "Eject/Unmount" item in the context menu for mounted devices.

I think the unreliability of mount which in effect cripples the eject
button on most CD drives forced Nautilus to provide a workaround.
Ideally the eject button should just work (although you might still want
to disable it while a Disc is being burned).

> Aside from that, if a device is not mounted, or does not contain
> accessible media, why should it appear on the desktop at all?

Agreed.

> It seems to me that users want to be notified that things ARE working,
> in rather odd ways sometimes, as they don't trust that it WILL work.

Users not trusting their computers?!
Blame Microsoft
:)

Sincerely