Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop

On 7/30/05, Alexander Brausewetter <br absb de> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 16:12 -0700, Daniel J. Wilson wrote:
> > On Jul 29, 2005, at 3:27 PM, Alexander Brausewetter wrote:
> >
> > > How about adding a small eject icon ⏏ to a corner of the device
> > > icon.
>
> > I mocked up something similar several months ago:
> > http://blog.wilsonet.com/archives/2005/04/15/dealing-with-ejection/
>
> I've also done a little mockup now:
>  http://f4ee.net/~alex/Device_eject_button.png

Oh, please no. I find menus hard enough to use when the direction that
matters is vertical, if you make the menus require precise targeting
in *both* directions, using menus will be a pain.

More presicely, it will

a) take a lot of time to open something in menus (you need to target
twice, so it'll take double the time to target)
b) make mistakes frequent, and in this case, non-trivial ones that
eject your disc when you try to acces it

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi