Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 18:12 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> I like using the "Eject" button on the drive. It works nicely. :)

Really? Linux locks mine, and when I use a screwdriver it throws a
fit. :/

Why does every conversation about fixing the eject situation always
degrade into one of the following categories?

1) Works for me.
2) We should fix the way media is mounted anyway.
3) Let's add an icon on top of another icon!
4) Let's make a panel applet!
5) Trash cans don't make any sense...
6) Allow eject via trash anyway so people don't get too lost.

Personally, my opinion is somewhere around a hybrid of 4 and 6. The
reasons being (per category):

1) It doesn't work for joe-point-and-grunt, and you're assuming everyone
can right click (tablet PC's), or worse, is smart enough to look there.
I've seen cases where people have used screwdrivers on the floppy drives
(With Mac OS) because they were so desperate.

2) Okay, we'll just send an e-mail to the Free BSD kernel people, Sun,
and Linus, and politely ask them to make all media removable with no
consequences for every kernel version in existence, like windows! Or
even better make a VFS method!

3) I have a hard enough time with my trackball and IBM nubby thing as it
is, imagine aiming for something that small when it's scaled down for an
640x480 screen on some embedded thing. (Think compact flash here, or
something) Even worse, think about a11y.

4) I'm actually behind this one quite a bit, if it's done in a way that
it makes logical, obvious, and fast (no more than 2 clicks or 1 drag).
Currently, right clicking is not obvious, which is a problem for the
trashcan as well. Maybe we could clean up the drive mounter applet a
bit?

5) No, they don't. But neither do doorknobs, knobs are usually pulled,
not twisted. Some homes use levers, which are easier and faster, but
most have knobs. We currently use a button hidden under a secret panel
down the hall.

6) This is my personal opinion, see number 5. Maybe we can give them a
lever (see number 4, a panel) by default and let them use a knob
(trashcan) if they insist.

Am I missing any of the other typical outcomes of this discussion? If my
logic is wrong, please don't hesitate to politely point it out and
correct me. This isn't aimed at anyone's personal opinion about it,
these just seem to be the discussions and comments that are brought up
every time, and the end conclusions that are drawn. I'd love to see some
new ideas thrown at the issue.

-Jason