Re: [Usability] tools on the desktop

I like using the "Eject" button on the drive. It works nicely. :)

For things like USB keyfobs and such, I think we should just fix the
problems with losing dating if you unplug the device, and it is not
written to yet. The Mac OS "eject" behavior for dragging to the trash,
is more related to the hardware interfaces, I think. Macs have
historically not had eject buttons for at least floppy and cd-rom
drives, and therefore required the user to eject things via software,
or with a paper clip. They've added eject buttons to some machines
in the near recent development of hardware, but many devices still do
not have hardware eject buttons. Of course, Nautilus also already
provides an "Eject/Unmount" item in the context menu for mounted
devices.

Aside from that, if a device is not mounted, or does not contain
accessible media, why should it appear on the desktop at all? It
seems to me that users want to be notified that things ARE working,
in rather odd ways sometimes, as they don't trust that it WILL work.

And, yeah, adding more functionality to a menu item, based on where
your pointer is horizontally across the menu item, is bad. I also
somehow doubt that the patch needed to GTK+ to get menu items to work
in a way to make the hilight change horizontally across a single menu
item, so that the user will actually know what part they are clicking
on, wouldn't get accepted either. :)

-- dobey