Re: display workspace when cycling...

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Daniel M German <dmg uvic ca> wrote:

>  Andrea> For "Display_worskpace_when_cycling", I'm not against this improvement
>  Andrea> but I don't like the patch in it's form as it adds another option,
>  Andrea> it's not well integrated with current options and it breaks one of the
>  Andrea> cycling modes (in a previous email I've attached a modified patch that
>  Andrea> fix it, but nothing else, if you exclude indentation style:
>  Andrea> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/sawfish-list/2008-July/msg00062.html ).
>
> Hi everybody,
>
> any suggestions on how it can be better implemented? I don't really
> mind if it gets rejected (I am currently using it and I am happy to
> keep patching my code) but I presume others like me don't like to
> momentarily switch workspace when cycling as it gets
> annoying/disturbing.

I've pondered a little on this one.

Your patch adds an option, "Switch temporarily to the workspace where
the window is (except for windows that really want focus)", that when
selected alone doesn't have any effects, unless it's associated with
"Include windows on all workspaces when cycling."

I propose to not add another option, instead modify the original
behaviour (i.e. before your patch) in this way:
when an user select to "Include windows on all workspaces when
cycling." and "Display windows names and icons while cycling through
windows." to display the workspace name (your patch).

When "Display windows names and icons while cycling through windows."
is not selected and "Include windows on all workspaces when cycling."
is selected, switching temporarily to a different workspace when
needed (the old behaviour).

What do you think?

P.S. I've left out completely the viewports case... ^__^;

--
Andrea