Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GUI mockup... let's get this sorted once and for all

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 22:48 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 17:39 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > Bastien Nocera wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'm not sure this is right.  Check out the example here:
> > http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/07/how_to_make_enh.html
> >
> > I don't think a tiny thumbnail next to the song title is going to cut it.
> >
> > I should say that I used to think the same way you do until two weeks
> > ago when I saw Apple demo iTunesU here at JHU.  The level of integration
> > between audio, video, etc. is amazing - we have some catching up to do.
> >   I'm not sure just handing off to totem is going to work.
>
> I didn't know you could do all that in a Podcast. But at the same time,
> it's not anything that Totem wouldn't be able to handle with better SMIL
> (or simili-SMIL) support. In this particular case it's just MPEG-4 audio
> bookmarks and images being displayed.
>
> Would it be that hard to offload?

Howdy musiclovers.
I think the only reason to have podcasts in a music jukebox app is
because of the synchronisation to the portable devices. I personally
prefer having a set of limited scope applications that cooperate well.

I prefer my file manager to help me manage files, not browse the web. I
would totally prefer a separate podcast client (penguintv is quite
cool). And that should actually only deal with finding, subscribing and
managin the sources, for playback a generic media player such as totem
sounds ideal. I would prefer a device synchronisation application that
wouldn't do anything but sync data onto a device. Podcasts, music,
calendars, e-mail... I don't need my email client to care about that, I
don't need my music jukebox to care about that either. It's the data
that matters. Things get to end up a lot easier to understand in terms
of interface. Cramming podcasting into a jukebox app is a little nasty.

As far as the media handling stock icons -- I'm not sure we'd want those
defined for the core set of icons such as tango-base, but it would be
nice to have a naming scheme defined for media players, similar to what
we are trying to do for graphic editors with tango-art-libre. Anyone
willing to give a hand with this, feel free come by at #tango on
irc.freenode.org or the tango-artists mailing list*.

cheers