Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] GUI mockup... let's get this sorted once and for all

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 15:40 -0800, Michael Knepher wrote:
> I think most of these small touches help clean up the interface. As far
> as the Tango-ification of the icons, while I like the Tango icons better
> than the old default ones, wouldn't it be better to have the icons
> provided by the currently selected icon theme?

Yes, that would of course be the proper solution, although it would
require some more organisation and collaboration between music apps and
the Tango-project in order to get a music app category into the
icon-naming-specification, if this is at all possible.

I should also mention that I think we should create a new icon for
Rhythmbox, also to be used in the notification area... the current grey
app icon and plain notification area icon are looking pretty outdated.
I've been thinking myself of what it should look like, and would love
some suggestions from you guys.

I'd really like to see this get somewhere too, unlike the countless
other threads which seem to have just lead to nothing.

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 17:49 +0000, Jack Miller wrote:
> All in all, I think it looks cool, but while the album art is cool,
> pushing the queue down to three songs essentially makes it useless, in
> my opinion. Also, any scaling down (i.e. not running RB full screen,
> like I do in ion3) would cramp something *somewhere*, either cramp the
> song list or the queue or the image, something gets pinched.
>
> Show me a way around this and I'd be totally down for this.

Yeah this has been on my mind too, although you should also remember
that:

(a) the qeued songs list will automatically get a scrollbar when the
contents are greater than available space, so it's not that much of a
problem when you also consider...

(b) The sources list is usually smaller than that, I purposely included
as many sources as possible to show the Tango icons off.

(c) The sidebars are all re sizable, so you could make the qeued songs
box larger for the moments you wanted to browse the qeued songs...
sounds suboptimal I know, but think about it, it really isn't a bad
option.

(d) Very few people use screen resolutions of under 1024x768 or even
1280x1024 these days, and most of those run rhythmbox fullscreen when
browsing etc. and simply minimise it to the notification area when
listening... so potentially this is a non-issue for the majority of
people anyways, and the others always have points (a) - (c) ;)