Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: UI Improvements

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 02:29:07PM +1100, James Livingston wrote:

> One issue that I have just though of: what happens if you have identical
> artist tags, with different sort-tags? e.g. I have two songs by "The
> Living End", one with the sort tag "Living End, the" and one with the
> sort tags "The Living End".
>
> The easiest thing to do would be to use the sort tag from the first
> track we see, however that means you'll need to ensure /all/ of your
> tracks have sort tags to work correctly.

What if you store the sort tags with each artist and album instead of
each song?  That way to tell Rhythmbox once that "The Living End" should
be sorted as "living end, the", instead of assigning that string to each
song.  If there's no sort string for an artist or album, fall back to
using the artist or album name.

I find it very unlikely a user would want the same string to sort
differently for different songs.  I suppose it is *possible*, though the
result would probably be confusing for the user.