Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: UI Improvements

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 23:07 -0500, Paul Kuliniewicz wrote:
> What if you store the sort tags with each artist and album instead of
> each song?  That way to tell Rhythmbox once that "The Living End" should
> be sorted as "living end, the", instead of assigning that string to each
> song.  If there's no sort string for an artist or album, fall back to
> using the artist or album name.

I agree that would make sense, but it still doesn't solve the problem.

There are two tracks for the artist, with different sort tags. Which
sort-tag do we use for the artist? Obviously you would only have one
entry in the artist list, but we still need to figure out where to sort
it.

> I find it very unlikely a user would want the same string to sort
> differently for different songs.  I suppose it is *possible*, though the
> result would probably be confusing for the user.

I very much doubt that the user wants to sort them differently, it's
just that we need to deal with inconsistant tags.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
> Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a
> function.
You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD