Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] a new design mockup for the RB homepage

Am Samstag, den 19.11.2005, 15:45 +0100 schrieb Martin Jeppesen:
> > > Compiling Rhythmbox from CVS is not trivial.
> >
> > Ahm.. ubuntu breezy ---> cvs checkout ---> fix the dependencies with
> > synaptics ( by adding the needed dev packages ) --> ./autogen.sh and
> > your done :o).. thats not really that hard i think..
>
> I doubt Ubumtu can resolve dependencies for Rhythmbox CVS. Have you tried it?
>
> But most importantly. Can you prove that:
>
> > About Download.. ahm.. nobody really downloads rb from the page..

Ok.. i dont want to do a discussion this way.. but if you want to..

Can you prove "people expect this and that" that you bring up every mail
you posted..

> > > I would say functionality is more important then design. After all the
> > > purphase of application websites are to answer: what is this program,
> > > what it looks like, what can it do, and where do I get it.
> >
> > You would be shocked to hear that design is as important as content...
> > ( i know most programmers dont like that idea ).. but having a nice site
> > can boost up your user usage because its just "cooler" to use that
> > program... look at the iPod.. one of the most underfeatured.. most
> > expensive.. most propritary mp3players on the market.. but everyone
> > WANTS it badly... :o) ( and that is surely not because of its excellent
> > qualities... nearly every cheap taiwanese player can do more for less )
>
> You are right, that design is important for hardware and design is
> important for software as well. But would people buy the iPod if you
> removed the functionality?

You dont get the point...

> I don't think degrading functionality is good for anyone.

I am not removing function from the webpage.. you still have a single
click until you get your screenshots its just "media" which holds more
points.. but showing all together....

> Rhythmbox.org have 8 menus. You have now 5 in your ideas.

> What is there were 4 to the left of the triangle and 4 to the right?

Thats a strange idea...

> > But that discussion is useless if you think that way.. ( numbers and
> > real world experience proof you to be wrong.. )
>
> That's not how it works. First rule of marketing:
>
> Who is the target group?
> What are their needs?

Ah and you define the target group AND what their needs are you must be
really rich..

> You most have investigated these two as a minimum before proceeding.

> > I am not talking about the changelog beeing on the front.. but more the
> > NEWS.. ( there should be a little bit more info than just changelogs...
> > like progress and stuff.. new features that are beeing talked about..
> > etc.. not everyone reads the ML )
>
> Phew. I thought you wanted the changelog (the NEWS file) on the front page =)
>
> About or News as the front page... There is advantages and
> disadvantages for both.
>
> > If someone hits the site who is new.. he should be able to press
> > "About" ( After he read the Headline GNOME Music Manager which is self
> > describing of what he will find on this page ) if hes not.. hes not even
> > beeing able to use a computer or linux at all. For everyone else.. who
> > just wants to follow the project ( and those are many more than
> > "newcomers" ) he needs to have an extra click for the needed information
> > everytime he visits the page.
>
> What if:
>
> Front page shows About and the left side menu becomes:
>
> News
> Screenshots
> Download
>
> Right side menu becomes:
> FAQ: Related tools is put in the FAQ.
> Development: Translation is put in Development.
> Feedback
>
> The menu would then become:
>
> News    Screenshots     Download    /\   FAQ    Development    Feedback
>
> > Yeah thats probably the reason why they changed it now ..... take a look
> > at most of apple.com's subpages ..... ( you have a combination of black,
> > gradiant and others.. )
>
> Yes, they change theme according to their product pages. That's
> probably a good idea. But their front page and all their products are
> probably not going to change =)

ok just to end this pointless discussion.. i am not going to design the
webpage against all my experience and knowledge as a webdesigner..
especially not if i am pointed to "proof" something i dont have to proof
and on the other hand have to listen to sentences like "people do this
and that" without any proof or anything...

Greetings
Waldgeist