Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:06:23PM -0500, Peter Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:30:10 +1000, Jonathan Matthew
> <jonathan kaolin hn org> wrote:
> > The queue display can be manually resized by dragging the handle
> > separating it from the playlist/library display, the same way the
> > browser panel can be resized.  I don't think it's worthwhile trying to
> > have it automatically resize itself.
>
> It shouldn't resize itself, but it should remember its size when it's
> shown/hidden. And it should automatically show/hide when it's gets the
> first entry or it gets empty.

I just noticed that anyone trying to use rhythmbox on a 640x480 screen
has bigger problems than the queue chewing up a third of their display:
the main window at minimum size is too wide to fit on the screen.
Maximised 800x600 is pretty comfortable.

> > I think the answer to all of these, as far as this approach is
> > concerned, is to add another expander thing like the show/hide browser
> > one in the same row as it, and have the queue expand above it, rather than
> > below.  Screenshots/mockups to follow, assuming I can get it to work.
>
> That sounds perfect.

I got it working, but it's ugly and confusing.  It's still not clear
which bit is the queue and which is the library/playlist.

  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-ugly-1.png
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-ugly-2.png
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-ugly-3.png
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-ugly-4.png

It's slightly less ugly with the queue expander on a separate row:

  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-less-ugly-1.png
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-less-ugly-2.png
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-less-ugly-3.png
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/rhythmbox-less-ugly-4.png

so, I'm about at the point where I'm prepared to let other people
viciously criticize what I've done and complain that it doesn't compile.

  archive: jonathan kaolin hn org--2005
  branch: rhythmbox--queue--0.9
  http://j.kaolin.hn.org/arch/2005

I haven't really used arch before, so I've probably screwed something up
there.

The current revision is the 'less ugly' layout, but the code for the
'ugly' layout is in there, #ifdef'd out.  The code for the cluttered
messy status bar (with queue information) is similarly #ifdef'd out.

If something based on 0.8 would be more useful, I can quite easily back
port all my changes.  Probably.

-jonathan