Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 11:19 -0500, Peter Schmidt wrote:
> Thanks for your interest, James. Hope you are the one to get the $220.

Like I said, I'm really busy for the next week or two, so if anyone else
is keen just pipe up.

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:44:58 +1100, James Livingston <jrl ids org au> wrote:
>
> <snip comments about previous discussion relating to this>
> I know that, I had a look at the mailing list archives. That's why I
> decided to get money involved in the issue so things work my way. :) I
> know it's a little selfish, but it's better than just arguing about
> the idea for another couple of years.

It a good way to get people to actually do it rather than talk about it;
although open-source developers generally have reasons other than money
for programming, it helps to stop them getting distracted by the latest
shiny thing. And I definitely wouldn't say it's selfish, you're giving
something so that a feature that quite a few people will appreciate will
get done.

> This sounds good, kind of like Party Shuffle in iTunes, but without
> automatically queueing up new songs. However, it is no longer a queue,
> it's more like a multi-purpose queue/history panel. Any comments on
> the way we should implement that UI-wise?

I haven't actually used iTunes since party-shuffle was added (well, if I
had I didn't use it, anyway) but from what I've heard both here and from
other discussions it would be similar. I think the best bet would be get
get the bits you talked about (the basic functionality done) first and
the maybe have a go at the party-shuffle/history thing while people are
playing around with what had been done at that point.

> Also, I'm not really sure if the queue panel should be above the track
> list or below it. Any reasoning why either position is better?

Well you'd be grouping the expandable bits together. This might be a
good thing, keeping similarly looking UI elements together, but could
also be bad, because they have two orthogonal functions. If it was at
the bottom it would also be more symmetrical, which from 5 seconds
though would seem to be more aesthetically pleasing, but could very well
be wrong.

Since I imagine it'd be fairly simple to move, I'd probably just pick
one and see what people think. I'll probably try to get a quick mock-up
done in glade fairly soon so we can see what it would actually look
like.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
I love ASR, you have total freedom of speech as long as it's punctuated
correctly. -- Chris Hacking in a.s.r