Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 14:41 +0000, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 13:22, James Livingston wrote:
> > Now that I think about it the first one I mentioned (the playlist one)
> > wouldn't be too much of a problem; the only time I actually use a manual
> > playlist is as a queue. I'm sure there are other people who use them
> > though. So for me your idea could actually work, but I'm sure there are
> > some people who use manual playlists who would be annoyed if we didn't
> > think of some way they could add things to a manual playlist.
>
> Perhaps right-mouse on a song could have add-to-playlist in the popup
> menu.  Not quite as convenient as drag-and-drop but possibly adequate.
> A frequent user would have to say.

It's an option; you'd probably make it a submenu, because you wouldn't
want to have indefinitely long playlists. I don't know if it would be
convenient/good UI design, but maybe someone who frequently uses manual
playlists can suggest what would be good here.

I'm going to have to make a list of thing-to-hack-on, I've just though
of another idea for me to do sometime <goes and makes a new Tomboy
note>:

When you drag a song to an automatic playlist it currently doesn't do
anything, what I think it should do is ask if you want to add new
criteria to the playlist. Basically a dialog that asks whether you want
to add by-title, by-artist, by-genre, by-whatever. This would obviously
only make sense for the OR (match any criteria) playlists, I don't know
what it should do for the AND (match all criteria) playlists.

> > I think I'm going to have to add one thing to my list of things to hack
> > into rhythmbox: a scroll bar in the automatic playlist dialog. One of my
> > APs has 28 conditions on it. In case you're wondering, it's my list of
> > Australian music, hence having a considerable list of band name as its
> > conditions.
>
> Ah, sounds like you need to start lobbying for the official recognition
> of an 'Aussie music' genre :-)

I suppose I could always re-tag the music I rip from my CDs, but that'd
be work. Sure I know I could just open easy-tag or some other tag
editor, click on the various folders and tell it to re-tag all the
files, but I'm a hacker. I'm happy to spend 10 hours writing a program
to make a 30 second job run in 15 second :)    (I can't remember where
that quote is from).

While writing this email, I was listening to a song by an Aussie band,
and I realised that it wasn't in my Australian Music playlist. Another
problem solved!

Actually on second though I could write something that looks all the
band up on google, goes to their official web site, read it to find out
if they're Australian and updates my playlist. Now *THAT* is a plan ;)

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
You're trying to trick me into being intelligent. It won't work.
    -- dpm in the monastry