Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Play Queue Bounty

G'day everyone,

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 12:32 -0500, Peter Schmidt wrote:
> I'm announcing a $200 bounty for a play queue in Rhythmbox. The first
> person to check in play queue support or at lease provide an Arch
> branch will receive $200 via PayPal at the address he specifies.

This is one of those RFEs that come up every so often, and every time it
comes up I think "Hey, I should do that", but never seem to have any
time; and when I have the time I always forget :-\

If no-one else is thinking about doing it, I'll probably give it a go in
about a week or two, when I finish off my current work for Uni.

In any case, I've put written down a couple of comments that might
interest anyone who is going to get this done.

> Here are the specifications:
>
> The queue window should be an expandable panel, just like the Browser
> panel. When collapsed, the label should say "Queue (X tracks)" if
> there are any tracks queued or just "Queue". When expanded, the queue
> panel should look just like the library table, showing the same
> columns as the library table. The queue should only be about 4 rows
> tall, but should be resizable with a sash.

Every time this idea comes up it degenerates into a discussion about the
best UI; this dies off and then nothing gets done. I think that a) it's
as good as anything else and b)if we have it implemented people can use
it, and then argue about the UI afterwards.

> When Rhythmbox is picking which song to play next (either when the
> Next button is clicked or when the current song finishes), it should
> always check the queue first. If there are songs in the queue, the top
> song should be played and it should be removed from the queue. When
> the queue is empty, the next song should be picked the way it's picked
> now, following shuffle/repeat/etc. logic.

This could be added after the main play-queue bit is done, but I think
that showing the last N (~3) song played and the current one in the list
is a good idea. I'd use this because after listening to a good song, I
suddenly think "Which song was that? I should rate it up" and have to
stop the next song, and press previous to find out. Getting your parts
implemented first is more important though.

<snip various UI bits I agree with>

> The queue panel should be visible and effective in all playlists, not
> just in the Library.

On an unrelated note, did anyone ever get it fixed so that you an
sort-by-whatever (title, artist, etc) in automatic playlists? (by
clicking on the column heading, like in the library).

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.