Re: John Palmieri joining the release-team

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 17:17 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 11/7/05, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:

> > > I thought they missed the last release train?
> >
> > We released 2.12 with the 2.10 releases of the java bindings. But the
> > 2.12 java bindings are in GNOME 2.13.1. So I think everything is
> > alright.
>
> Well, it does bring up another question.  I believe one of the rules
> of the bindings release set was that there was a commitment to target
> the most recent versions of libraries; it was one of the sticky points
> as the C# bindings intentionally targetted older releases but still
> felt they ought to be in the release set (which Miguel brought up in a
> rather accusing tone towards Murray since Miguel didn't
> like/understand the rule...a situation that was at least temporarily
> handled by just explaining the rules that currently exist and an offer
> to allow the bindings group to discuss further if they feel they
> should change.)  That topic will almost certainly come up again, and
> they may well bring up how the java bindings lagged last release if
> they haven't yet targetted the newer library versions.  Is there a
> difference in these cases that I'm not aware of (I'm admittedly not
> that familiar with the bindings side of things)?  How do we handle
> this?  What's the rule or rules?

It all depends on what kind of tone we want to strike.  Java missing one
release might not be a big deal if they have shown commitment on
previous releases.  I think the delisting from stock markets might be a
good model.  It is pretty hard to get on, you need to follow rules and
regulations but once you are on you are given leeway to get your act
together once you fall behind.  For instance a tech company in the
server space that we all should know has been threatened in the past
with delisting because their stock fell bellow $1 a share but they
managed to bring it up and keep their name listed.  It happened again
and they couldn't bring it up so they are being delisted.

The same stance should be taken with the Java Bindings or any bindings.
Give them a warning and drop them if they don't pull it together by the
next release.

As for C# what is their status?

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>