Re: [orca-list] LibreOffice Writer issue and help requested

Not talking about not being abole to find LO apps in an aps menu, I'm talking about LO writer submenus not
opening, but this was only an issue once at
most.
What was actually happening, and once I did not notice when it happened while the program and document were
still opened, was all my formatting of a
document went away.
My font size returned to default, my color changes went away, and the table itself which was most of the doc
was gone.
Everything went back in to a single column.
This happend everytime I closed this doc, i.e. I recreated it a few times.
I Even saved the file every few words once, and a few times another time. All would be well until I closed
the document, i.e. orca would read me the table
coordiates, font size and color, etc correctly until I closed and reopened.
The doc had 0 formatting data in it.
I will have to spend some tme experimenting in a bit. The failures were made by first creating an empty file
with a .docx extension in a file manager, and
then opening that empty doc in LO writer.
I Redid everything yet again, but on a different machine, and by opening LO  first, i.e. not making the empty
file in a file manager first. I also saved in
odt format that time.
So, there are three major differences in how I got things to work, need to track down which of the
differences caused things to fail. I am pretty sure I've
been able to do things using the method that did not work before, and of the differences the one that makes
the most sense as being behind the problem is
starting with an empty doc. Maybe LO just can't save what's on screen if there's not something in the way of
a formatting headr or something like that in
the original doc.
You'd think this would not be a problem however.
I'll report when I track something down.
I had another problem with orca not reading the correctly formatted doc when I first loaded it on my arch-box
aftercopying it from the other machine where
I made it.
I finally got orca to speak document content by checking and then unchecking an item in LO writer's
view/toolbar/ submenu called standard viewing mode that
is just below standard.
I've had LO docs not be spoken before, wonder if this would have fixed it, and what it means???
Going to look at LO help files after finishing sorting today's email.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  kendell clark wrote:
Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 08:27:43PM -0500

hi
I've seen this issue as well, or one quite like it. It doesn't happen
all the time, but it does happen occasionally. I've narrowed it down to
just after a libreoffice update. After you've updated libre office but
before you restart the gui or the computer, the items for libreoffice's
programs, calc, writer, etc disappear from the office menu and won't
turn up if you search for them in gnome or unity, and it doesn't quite
work right if you launch it manually or by clicking on a document. I'm
wondering if it's something with libre office or the underlying desktop
file system? What I mean by that is the .desktop files that get changed
when you update a program, not the filesystem your programs and data are
on. It's very hard to pin down but I'm glad other people are
experiencing it, I was chalking it up to this slow mac book I'm having
to use until my new laptop comes in later this week.
Thanks
Kendell Clark

B. Henry wrote:
It's working now after restartting the GUI.
It was worse, i.e. some things were indeed not available because I'd messed up the document's formatting
and did not know it, but for some reason some
things were not being reported correctly to orcd it seems.
Anyway, going to try and get my libreoffice work done this evening.
It was late, and I had little time to try and get things done, so I asked for help sooner than I normally
would have.
Thanks much for your prompt reply.
I might have only sent that reply to you, will look when I clean out my sent mail folder.
This one should go both on list and to you.
Regards,