Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

There are gui apps to turn text to speech, and one or more has been mentioned on the list this week.
Yes, there are less voices available for Linux, but this is hardly the place to get comercial voice venders
to make Linux ports of their offerings.
I'm  mostly concerned about work than play,but sure develop games or port them to LInux...
If more sighted folks come to Linux, I thyink some things that effect blind people may be helped as well, but
as long as desktop Linux is a 1%OS it'll
take some serious luck to get the critical mass of developers working on stuff meant for 5%of the 1-2%.
Then again, a couple dozen bright I T students, unemployed geeks or who ever could turn out a lot of what
people want in a year or two.
Just as many of us do not find Windows meets our needs, there will always be folks who are not going to be
atracted by Linux strengths. Opperating
systems are more and more capible of doing a bigt of just aout any and everything, but if they were all the
same why use LInux? Why use Mac? Why use
Windows? Each logically has its own character, and probably is best served by trying to optimize its
strengths rather than homogenizing and trying to
become all things to all people.
There's a fine line to walk, and with LInux and FOS central planning is always in balance and tentionb with
what individuals and small or not so small
groups of devs and users want and have the time and knowledge to do.

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886

  Devin Prater wrote:
Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 09:25:56AM -0500

Well, I also think that if Linux will be a viable system, it'll need good braille support. Otherwise,
people will laugh and go back to iOS and Windows.

Sent from my iPhone