Re: [orca-list] GUI Redesign or clearup and modernization

On 9/1/2015 10:24 AM, B. Henry wrote:
Well, it's not unreasonalble to ask users to read a bit of documentation to learn a keystroke or two when
trying a new desktop, but unless I'm missing
something folks like myself who use a window manager such as fluxbox and fill in accessibility gaps with
custom scripts would be left out in the cold if
an orca prefs window was done away with.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I think that in this case, it is unreasonable to expect people to be required to read documentation in order to figure out how to set their Orca prefs. That attitude in general is why so many people, both blind and sighted, either are put off by Linux, won't try it in the first place or give up without ever installing it and giving it a fair chance. I don't have a problem expecting people to read a basic accessibility guide and I agree that once people have learned the basics that they should be expected to read the docs, but expecting them to read the docs before they even get started is asking too much. Other than your first statement, I agree with what I think you're trying to say. I think you're agreeing with my previous post on the subject which is that regardless of what desktop or window manager, there needs to be a universal keystroke to access the Orca prefs. I don't think people should have to read the docs to find it, however.

What would be good is for Orca to open the prefs window automatically when it's started from a live environment so people don't have to hunt around to find them. Maybe could a command line switch like --prefs be added for this? I thought there was already such a switch, but I didn't see it when reading "orca --help" on my Ubuntu MATE 15.04 system.