Re: [orca-list] Built in Controls for Espeak Pretty Please with Sugar, cheeries, whatever it takes on top :)

Classic case of dev convenience versus user convenience.  Devs  seem
to prefer spd because of its abstraction and so forth.  Users prefer
anything that makes the software do its job better regardless of
development philosophy.  I'm strongly in the "make e-speak and Orca
talk directly to each other" camp.  Too many moving parts is not good
sometimes.  Take the bug in Debian with speech-dispatcher 8.
Basically, unless you have pulse, it can't open sockets and pretty
much doesn't talk at all.  Thank god for Espeakup on that box or I'd
be only able to use it remotely via putty.  If Orca coud talk to
Espeak directly, this would be a non issue for me.  IMHO too much
depends on speech dispatcher.  if it goes belly up, there is
absolutely nothing else you can use to make Orca talk anymore.  Used
to be, there was libgnome-speech but Orca support for it was
discontinued.  Now, it's speech-dispatcher or the sound of silence.  I
can't tell you how frustrating it is to know your machine has a
perfectly functioning speech synth that works like a charm with one
package but not with another.  Speakup and Emacspeak talk just fine.
Orca, does not.  Dedicating work hours to speech-dispatcher is very
cold comfort if you don't code.

Alex M