Re: [orca-list] Do we need "accessible" linux distributions anymore? was Re: Go to upper left and lower right corner in orca.

What known accessibility issues do you find in unity 3d? I had no problems using it in 12.10 and 13.04, but I did have some minor issues in 12.04, 11.10, and 11.04. The only issue I see with Ubuntu right now, which I ran into when I received my system76 linux laptop, was that the installed version of Ubuntu was in OEM mode and there was no way to activate a11y. I should probably report that as an ubuntu bug, or do you know of a way? ctrl+s didn't work.
On 01/24/2013 06:39 PM, Christopher Chaltain wrote:
> That's a good point, but upgrading/updating a system can introduce
> problems no matter the distribution. 12.10 uses Unity 3D, which has some
> known accessibility issues, and unless you're downloading and compiling
> the source yourself, you're always running some back level code.
>
> On 24/01/13 17:33, Bill Dengler wrote:
>> FYI
>> I started out with my Linux experimentation back with Ubuntu 8.10. Then,
>> after that, used it for years on an Asterisk PBX server. I finally
>> decided to switch to it full time during the Ubuntu 12.04 testing cycle.
>> I used it up until 13.04 where I switched to Debian. I have used the
>> horribly out of date distro's 11.04/10.04 releases, which sort of
>> worked, but also wouldn't properly upgrade and blew up. Now, would a new
>> linux user enjoy :
>> 1 - seeing an update-manager notice
>> 2 - installing the update
>> 3 - rebooting
>> 4 - kernel panic
>> 5 - reinstall
>> 6 - restart at step 1
>> I sure wouldn't have.
>> On 01/24/2013 05:52 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
>>> Libreoffice isn't as accessible as you make out in Ubuntu 12.10.
>> Neither is
>>> Unity 3d.  I'll grant you Debian is accessible at start up but, you
>> put that
>>> in front of a lot of Linux newbies and you're in for frustration.
>> Debian is
>>> not a distribution which I think people new to Linux should tackle as
>> their
>>> first one. Ubuntu, sure but not Debian. Now, Ubuntu 12.04 is very nice
>>> with fantastic accessibility support out of the box and very
>>> newbie-friendly.  I still think Vinux 4 has a lot to offer though.  If
>> you
>>> haven't tried Vinux which, your comments lead me to believe you
>> haven't, you
>>> really can't speak on what it offers with anything but speculation.
>> I, on
>>> the other hand started using vinux in 2010 and have kept an eye on it
>> even
>>> after I switched first to Ubuntu proper in 11.10 and then to Debian in
>> early
>>> 2012.  It's still a great distribution for blind people who are just
>>> starting out with Linux or want to benefit from all the a11y heavy
>> lifting
>>> being done for them and who want to just hit the ground running.  Not
>>> everyone revels in a lot of the tinkering and tweaking you have to do in
>>> Linux sometimes.  Some folks just want to get to work if you catch my
>>> meaning.
>>>
>>> Alex M

>>> 1 - download the Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04 ISO and boot from it.
>>> 2 - listen for the system-ready sound
>>> 3 - press CTRL+S
>>> 4 - when you hear "welcome to orca", configure orca to your liking
>>> 5 - press alt+tab
>>> 6 - click the "install ubuntu" button
>>> 7 - complete the installer
>>> 8 - eject the DVD at the installation complete message
>>> 9 - boot into your new talking system
>>> for debian(gnome shell) :
>>> 1 - download the latest wheezy debian installer from the debian installer
>>> website
>>> 2 - insert the CD and boot from it
>>> 3 - press the following keys :
>>> s tab space priority = low enter
>>> so, press s, then tab, then space, then type "priority=low" without the
>>> quotes, then press enter.
>>> 4 - follow the prompts up to the set users and passwords step. For this
>>> step, you will want to create the second user account(for x). Then,
>> continue
>>> following the prompts up to the "select and install software"
>>> step, for this step, select :
>>> debian desktop environment
>>> SSH server
>>> standard system utilities
>>> other stuff if you want(I.E. web server)
>>> 5 - proceed with the rest of the install then eject the CD and reboot
>>> 6 - wait a few seconds(about 8 seconds on my SSD, about 30-45 for a hard
>>> drive) for the system to boot
>>> 7 - press the up arrow key until you hear the freedesktop bell sound,
>> then
>>> press enter.
>>> 8 - enter the password of the second user you created, then press enter.
>>> 9 - press the super key on your keyboard, type orca, then press enter.