Re: [orca-list] Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

Hi Kyle,

On 8/2/12, Kyle <kyle4jesus gmail com> wrote:
So am I understanding correctly that PDF is now an open standard? Then
again, mp3 was supposed to be a standard also, but it has been plagued
with many patent issues. Doesn't Adobe still control the format? I'll
definitely need to do further research on this matter.

Yes and no. From what I gather there is an open specification for pdf
being used by apps like xpdf, Libre Office, and other open source
software. However, while an open specification does exist Adobe
continues to add proprietary specifications to the pdf format in order
to sell copies of Acrobat and compete with the open source software.
So to a certain extent Adobe seems to still control the format
commercially, but there is an open specification for those who choose
to use open source software instead.

Cheers!