Re: [orca-list] Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

Hi Jason,

On 8/1/12, Jason White <jason jasonjgw net> wrote:
The easiest solution is to type Alt-F1 to move to the activities overview,
then start typing the name of the desired application, which will match
entries in the application list. You can also use cursor keys to move
through
the list.

Yes, I know. However, I was merely pointing out that the apps menu is
still there in Gnome-shell its just not as easy to get to as it was in
earlier versions of Gnome. Although, I agree with you its often easier
just to type the name of an application into the Dash and have it
locate the launcher in question. This seems to be a fairly common
design feature of modern graphical user interfaces as typing the name
of an app in the start screen on Windows 8 will do the same thing.

Applications can be added to the dash, but if you move to the dash and then
start typing, it still searches the entire list of applications instead of
restricting itself to those you have added to the dash (at least, this was
the behaviour when I last checked). I think this is a deliberate design
decision
however, not an oversight, and there are plans to extend the search
function
to files as well as applications.

I'm pretty sure that is where Gnome is heading. Like I said above
we've seen this sort of thing happening all across the board with
graphical user interfaces. Most notably in the Windows world where
Windows 8 no longer has a start menu per say, but a start screen. If
you begin typing the name of an application, the name of a file, etc
into the start screen it will bring up a list of results.  Plus you
have all your icons tiled across the screen rather than a menu
configuration. I suspect Gnome is probably headed in this direction as
well. Typing the name of an application in the Dash behaves similar to
Windows Metro. If they add files and folders to that search ability it
will essentially be on par with Windows 8's Metro interface  in that
respect.

Without entering into the debate here, the design of Gnome-Shell remains
controversial and attracts strong opinions on both sides. This isn't
unusual.

Its definitely not unusual at all. However, there lies the true power
of open source software. With Linux a person can technically pick the
user interface he or she likes, use the applications they like, and
can have absolute control over the OS where with Mac OS and Windows
what you see is what you get.

Cheers!