Re: [orca-list] Trying Quantal Quetsal Alpha 3

This was supposed to be on the list rather than a private message. Trying again.

So you think that Windows with all its various screen readers and still over 50% inaccessibility is better
than the work that is being done to try to get more than just GNOME and its core applications talking? And
you think that the Mac environment, where core applications work just fine but third party applications, most
notably Firefox, don't work well, and actually, neither does a Borne shell in a terminal, is somehow better
than the diversity and complete freedom of choice we have in Linux, where I have had access to the shell for
10 years, and that access was there long before that, and where I have access to multiple graphical
environments, which is always better than a single choice, even when there is a choice of two? Not to mention
that on the environments we can choose, I don't believe our level of access is below 50%.

I recently had to make the brave attempt to find a program for Windows that would partition my phone's SD
card. In Linux, this would have been a simple matter of running Parted, Fdisk, or if I wanted GPT
partitioning, Gdisk, the GNOME disk utility, or probably a few other quite accessible applications I forgot
to mention. However, all the applications I found that could do this simple task were either applications I
would have had to pay upwards of $30 to use one time or were very difficult to use with a screen reader. I
eventually ended up using Live USB creator, which was challenging enough, to copy a Talking Arch installer
onto a thumb drive so that I could get access to Parted. Normally I wouldn't have needed to do any of this,
but my main computerhas been dead for almost 2 months, and the only box I have access to now is a very old
Dell something or other that is running Windows XP. Att this point, I'm just happy that it will boot to a
thumb drive without much difficulty
  so
that I can work in the environment I am most comfortable with and do my work accessibly and productively.

And you would tell me that Linux diversity and freedom of choice is bad for accessibility? Things that make
you go hmmm.
~Kyle
--
Kyle is a droid.