Re: [orca-list] [Kde-accessibility] thunderbird getting bad to worst, is evolution a good choice?

Hi,

As suggested, I gave KMail a try, which ended quickly. I went through the account setup and KWallet wizards, where all seemed to work as expected. In the account setup, I chose to let the program find the settings for my provider. Since this is gmail, it found the right settings and connected to the imap server. When the setup finished, I had as many as 5 progress bars on screen, and could hear nothing but their updates, when KMail window was in the focus. When they finished, I could read the welcome screen, a text box, a message status combo box, the 'new tab' button, and two controls, identified by orca as 'tree', and 'list', with no descriptive names or apparent contents. I'm guessing that 'tree' is the folder list, and 'list' is the message index. The welcome message never changed.

Since the start of KMail, the application-specific orca scripts for programs like firefox, thunderbird, and pidgin will not load, when I switch focus to them. Restarting orca with the '--replace' option, seems to have fixed the trouble with the loading of some app-specific scripts, but pressing of 'alt-tab' switches applications, but orca does not speak until I release the keys. I'd previously noticed this script-start trouble when running the Unity-2d shell, which, I think, is a qt4-based app?

System Setup:

Ubuntu 12.-04 (all updates current as of 8:00 AM EDT today;
orca 3.5.1pre;
Gnome-fallback session.

Cheers,

Dave  Hunt