Re: [orca-list] Measures to reduce Orca and Gnome crashes

In my experience, in an environment in which you can run Orca from
master (i.e. have the right version of pygobject, recent enough Gtk+ 3,
etc.) you will have one challenge with XFCE (built from master) and
that's enabling accessibility for XFCE itself because of a different
setting. The rest was working pretty well last time I checked.

While it isn't even a light desktop, just a window manager I've got orca
running master running with fluxbox here.  Fluxbox itself isn't really
accessible, but I don't need much more than the ability to run terminals
so its good enough for me.  The fact it isn't a desktop means things are
much more manuel which is somewhat useful in this situation because the
simplicity makes it easier to understand.

 However I have had to hit orca with a hammer until it stopped wanting
 to check gsettings to see if a11y was enabled.  I can push my patch
 somewhere if someone wants to use it, but its pretty hacky.  I think
 eventually orca should probably just use the org.a11y.Status IsEnabled
 property Mike set up, other than perhaps for initial setup.

2 will mean a couple of things: The existing "modes" (which are
currently a mess and also entwined in Orca proper) will become their own
modules with their own event listeners and handlers. As a result, we not
only can have much cleaner existing modes, we can much more easily have
new and cool modes. For instance, I personally think the "virtual
buffer" is an evil beast <grins>, but it will become possible to create
a mode which more or less replicates that functionality. We might even

So, for various reasons I've been using firefox with nvda instead of
orca for the paste week and couple days.  To be honest while there are
certainly ways the experience is better on windows I think I prefer
using orca, and I suspect a lot of it is related to things like quick
search working because there is no virtual buffer.

But I digress.... Because I am pretty much changing EVERYTHING in Orca,
I need some testers. If that means taking a break to sort out XFCE's
state, I'll do it.

I don't know all that much about the details for xfce or other desktops,
but I'll mostly be around on irc / gtalk / email and probably now some
things that may be of use if people have questions or issues.

Trev

Take care.
--joanie