Re: [orca-list] Measures to reduce Orca and Gnome crashes

Hey guys.

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 09:45 -0800, Steve Holmes wrote:

[...]

Orca.  So there you are; gnome is a mess right now.  I'm really
tempted to uninstall gnome completely from my laptop and install xfce
instead but I'm not sure right now the status of Orca and these more
light wait desktop environments.

In my experience, in an environment in which you can run Orca from
master (i.e. have the right version of pygobject, recent enough Gtk+ 3,
etc.) you will have one challenge with XFCE (built from master) and
that's enabling accessibility for XFCE itself because of a different
setting. The rest was working pretty well last time I checked.

I'll add re-checking to my list of things to do -- and might could be
persuaded to add a hack to master in the meantime to set that value.
<smiles> As a matter of fact, if doing this -- along with providing
step-by-step instructions for building XFCE from master -- will get
everybody to test Orca master, that might be all the persuasion I'll
need. <grins> You see, basically, I'm working on an uber-refactor with
three goals:

1. Clean up a ton of code, centralize the stability sanity checks, etc.
2. Add dedicated "mode" support, including "off screen" support.
3. Create a scripting language.

1 is coming along nicely. Igalia makes it possible for Orca work to be a
significant part of my DayJob. Finally and yay!

2 will mean a couple of things: The existing "modes" (which are
currently a mess and also entwined in Orca proper) will become their own
modules with their own event listeners and handlers. As a result, we not
only can have much cleaner existing modes, we can much more easily have
new and cool modes. For instance, I personally think the "virtual
buffer" is an evil beast <grins>, but it will become possible to create
a mode which more or less replicates that functionality. We might even
be able to do a mode which acts more or less like Voice Over. This I
don't know, but I'm betting on it as a sufficiently reasonable
possibility. (Where "bet" == a brand new mac mini was delivered today so
I can become familiar with its user interaction.)

3 will hopefully be at least a start toward answering the issue of "I
want to contribute to Orca and/or make Orca work better for me, but I
don't know AT-SPI and I don't know much about Python, etc." This won't
prevent anyone who knows all about AT-SPI and Python from creating tools
that way. It will just be a new option for mere mortals.

But I digress.... Because I am pretty much changing EVERYTHING in Orca,
I need some testers. If that means taking a break to sort out XFCE's
state, I'll do it.

Take care.
--joanie