From: Michael Whapples [mailto:mwhapples aim com]
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2010 9:36 AM
To: Albert Sten-Clanton
Cc: 'Steve Holmes'; orca-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [orca-list] updating broke something

Hello,
Firstly let's try and get X starting and those nvidia driver problems seen
to.

For nvidia drivers I use the nouveau drivers. Part of my reasoning for this
is that my desktop's nvidia card now is only supported in one of the nvidia
legacy packages and they have had issues at times, so nouveau offered a
working solution. Also if you prefer an opensource solution then nouveau is
that. You may want to see the archlinux wiki page on nouveau
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau.

Should you wish to stick with the nvidia binary drivers then the archlinux
wiki page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA may help.

Please note that while I am using the nouveau drivers the desktop is
actually running debian so I don't know precisely the situation for the
version in archlinux packages.

Also as pointed out, if you have GDM started then this may stop X starting
using startx. I would have thought though in that situation you wouldn't get
errors about nvidia drivers if your graphics were configured correctly.

Michael Whapples