Re: [orca-list] mnemonic speaking missing (Re: Flag day for Orca)

On 06/01/2009 11:27 AM, Willie Walker wrote:
Hi Dave:

The changes you just checked in didn't fix the mnemonic problem on this
box. Also, I can't now duplicate the mnemonic being read only after
pressing where am I a second time. However, there are two entries in the
speech page of Orca preferences that are still not announcing mnemonics
when where am I is pressed: Speak blank lines and speak tutorial messages.

Bummer about the automatic speaking of the mnemonics not working when the "Speak object mnemonics" checkbox is checked. I tested it with the checkbox checked and unchecked (you need to press "Apply" or "OK" for the settings to take effect) and it worked fine for me.
I've been using this setting since I discovered it a month or two ago. But, I have also unchecked and checked the box since the refactor without the mnemonics being spoken when the box is checked.

Maybe you need to make sure git is behaving well? Try doing the following to make sure nothing locally is causing any issues:

git reset --hard
git pull

I received "Already up-to-date".

For the two items in question -- Speak blank lines and speak tutorial messages -- there's a reason no mnemonics are being spoken: there aren't any on those objects. We try to give almost everything a mnemonic, but looks like we missed a couple. Mnemonics can be very troublesome in dialogs with lots of widgets because we run out of meaningful letters quickly.

I would suggest dividing the speech page into two pages to free up more mnemonics. I know... just adding to your workload. ;-)

Once I finish what I'm doing, I'll reboot my laptop into Linux using gnome 2.26 and let you know the behavior.

dave