Re: [orca-list] Position of state vs. label for checkboxes (was Re:progress of progress bars is not reported., is it a known thing?)

Hi,
although the current order may be more like Linux config files, I think
we should switch them: Those of us, who own small braille displays, want
to see the status first instead of reading a long label. I think the
team should make a decission on that; there's no need for an election
campain ;-)
But there are a lot more problems as Marco pointed out yesterday:
Regarding the flat review, I think it should provide as much information
as the focus tracking mode. If you want an example see Orca's settings
dialog. The flat review only shows the labels but not the status.
Pressing Orca+Numpad-5 speaks the status, but it doesn't braille it. I
think this should be changed in that way we know from so many screen
readers, that do this correctly from their first versions on.
But I discovered an additional problem: If you happen to click with the
cursor routing buttons, you change the status of the controls without
taking any notice of it, because it is neither spoken nore brailled. In
the end you can screw up your whole settings without any chance to
realise it. This has to be changed, and I do think it's urgently.
Regarding progress bars, I want to read out the status in speech or
braille, whenever I want to do it, and Orca should perform this solid
and quickly. There's no need to read it automatically, and audiocomics
are the last think I expect a screen reader to do. I am a braille user
from my first school days on, so I am not iliterate.
And finally: The team and the users should ask themselves very
seriously, how much sense it makes to add feature by feature, as long as
there are such lacks in basic functionality.
Hermann