Re: [orca-list] progress of progress bars is not reported., is it a known thing?

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 14:34 +0530, krishnakant Mane wrote:
hello,
I find that in all cases progress of the progress bars is not reported.
if this is a known bug then there are 2 things which can be done.
in the first phase at least make sure when the flat review keys are
used and if the progress bar is encountered, the current status should
be reported.  like for example when running brasero for burning cds,
pressing the read previous line comes to the progress bar.
may be we can report the current (approximate ) status if % is not given?
Yes it would be useful to be able to get this information, but I don't
know enough about the underlying gnome accessibility to know how
possible this is. I think getting this information using flat review is
a good idea, I say this before you read my comments further on so you
don't confuse what situation I don't want to have.
secondly, orca should track the changes and report its state every
time the progrtess bar increments.
Please no. I don't like that, having a screen reader wittering away
because a progress bar is changing. Sometimes the progress bar is moving
so fast that you end up with a nonsensical stuttering as it keeps trying
to report the new status and gets interupted by another change in
status. The only progress reporting I have found to be of any use is the
tones in NVDA, but I don't know how possible that would be with orca
considering everything (including the linux audio mess, which shouldn't
be so if developers followed the prefered kernel systems, but I won't
get into that argument now).
can this be easily done?
I want to start developing for orca, can this be an easy thing to do
as a start.  I am asking this because there are millions who will
complain and demand but very few who actually fix the bugs themselves.
please give me some good starting points on gnome accessibility with
respect to how we are using it in orca.  secondly please guide me as
to where I can easily start contributing towards development of orca.
I have never done programming using gnome accessibility, but from what I
understand you would need to look at GTK accessibility (I am not sure if
this is at-spi, but if not then I think at-spi is another part of the
accessibility layer), and then as usual you are recommended to look at
code which actually implements similar things. So looking at Orca's
code, and probably also the LSR (linux screen reader, also now hosted at
gnome.org) would give you general ideas of how gnome accessibility
works. Hopefully with a combination of all the above you will be able to
work out something suitable.
by the way which is thebest accessible version of open office?  I stil
can't get any proper accessibility for tables in open office writer
(word processor).

regards,
Krishnakant.