Re: Orca free text-to-speech engines for ?

Hermann napsal(a):
Hi Tomas,
thank you ver much, I could switch the synth to German.
Two problems remain:
1. Although the volume settings in espek-generic.conf are already set
as you suggested, I can't turn the volume up. Is it possible to use a
value >100 in speechd.conf?

No, it would not help.  You can, however, increase the GenericVolumeAdd
100 value up to 200.  The disadvantage is, that you loose the ability to
increase volume programatically, but this is currently not supported in
Orca Speech Dispatcher module anyway.

2. speech-dispatche rproduces a startup problem. Although it starts
with the system, it doesn't speak. The user is set to "113" instead of
"root". What went wrogn during the set up procedure?

Speech Dispatcher intentionally gives up root privilegs after its start
for security reasons.  But if your setup doesn't support it, you may
have problems.  What distribution are you using?  You may check if given
user has write privilegs to directories, such as
/var/run/speech-dispatcher, /var/log/speech-dispatcher...  You might be
able to find the problem in the log file (if Speech Dispatcher is able
to write to it).

Best regards, Tomas.