Re: Orca free text-to-speech engines for ?

Hello Herman,

There are a couple of options for using Espeak with Orca, both of which require Speech Dispatcher. Since there's a Ubuntu package for Speech Dispatcher, you can just apt-get install speech-dispatcher or if you like you can grab the tarball from: http://www.freebsoft.org/pub/projects/speechd/

Tomas Cerha has written a Speech Dispatcher backend for Orca and instructions for setting it up can be found at:
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten this setup to work for me because the Speech Dispatcher driver isn't showing up as an option in Orca speech preferences. Perhaps Tomas could shed some light on what might be causing this, but in the meantime, here are instructions for getting Speech-dispatcher to work with Gnome Speech.

First you'll need to edit /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf to use Espeak as the default synth. Uncomment the line which begins:
    AddModule "espeak-generic"

Next, change DefaultModule to point to Espeak instead of Flite.
DefaultModule espeak-generic

Save the conf file and restart Speech Dispatcher.

killall speech-dispatcher
speech-dispatcher

Now you'll want to test that Espeak is working with Speech Dispatcher.
sd-say "This is a test."

Assuming things are working correctly, you're ready to rebuild Gnome Speech to include the Speech Dispatcher driver. You can just pull the latest Gnome Speech from CVS. Assuming you don't have a cvsroot specified, do the following:
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome
cvs co gnome-speech

Now change to the directory where you've downloaded the sources and issue the following:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-speech-dispatcher
make install

Now, when you run Orca, you should see Speech Dispatcher as an option when Gnome Speech services has been selected.

Hth,
Ricky